sunnuntai 29. maaliskuuta 2009

Package holidays can become adventures, too.

In 2004, I went to Marmaris, Turkey, with Elina. The place itself was an awful tourist trap, but we decided to go around. The best part was definitely the trip to Pamukkale (meaning 'cotton castle' in Turkish), a totally amazing place with bright white cliffs of limestone which resembled waterfalls - there was hot baths, too. Even more exciting was to try to drive among completely crazy Turkish drivers.. Don't try this at home (they cannot be trusted!!).


(standing in the doorsteps into Heaven, Pamukkale.)

We also tried parasailing. We had no idea what it would be like, so off we went and I claimed I'd be the first to go. Imagine my horror when I rose, rose, and rose (yes, I'm afraid of heights, too. I and my many phobias ;) and was finally soaring above teeny tiny people on the streets. I kept thinking if I fell down, I wouldn't get there in one piece. Eventually I looked around and was amazed of the beauty of Marmaris Bay. When I got back on the boat, Elina asked how I felt. I decided not to terrify her, so I just shouted cheerily 'It was great!!!' and innocently she rose into the air, too. She later said had she known what it was like, she wouldn't probably have dared at all. heh heh.


(whooaaaaaah!)

In 2005 it was Gouvia, Corfu, with Netta. What an experience it was to sail to Albania and freak out because of a very, very suspicious-looking Albanian man, trotting around us and even following us. Now we can laugh about that, but that time it wasn't funny at all.. :D We called him 'the Matchbox Man', because he threw a matchbox straight in the front of us. An albanian way to show interest in someone? :P It was also the first time for us to get sun rash! We'd been sunbathing too much at this gorgeous beach, Paleokastritsa, and afterwards we stared blankly at each other's cleavages, full of tiny red spots. Nice.


(the Aqua Park, somewhere in the middle of Corfu)

In a right company, every trip becomes an adventure, was it a short flight to Denmark or a loooong way to Tokyo. You learn so much about each other, when you step out of the airport and think "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore." (which by the way is one of the best feelings in the world!!)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti